When it comes to boards like this everyone recommends to only do it once the right way and its so cheap to buy this part you should do it based on that fact. Its like buying crap in bulk that goes stale before you ever eat it.

The adjustable valve train does open a pandora's box of spending, as stated above. On a 3000 or less budgeted engine, buying something needing an adjustable valve train adds another 500 bucks on top, and thats assuming you bought more expensive pistons with the right valve reliefs to allow more lift. And then you aren't getting much more because your 906 heads dont flow above .500 lift as previously stated. So you buy the stealth heads or eddys because they're only about 400-700 more than a valve job and new valves. And hopefully your aftermarket heads check out good and dont need cleaning up. You just turned a cheap 2500-3000 rebuild into a 4000+ rebuild. Sometimes its just easier to stick with what works if high 11s and low 12s are enough for you.

And a buddy of mine used the Comp 509 when his last 509 broke in half. Car idles pretty smooth and he said its must more street friendly, but pulls even a little bit harder up top. I think the Comp version would probably be a good cam to run, at least you can take advantage of some of the newer technology with the advantages of the old 509.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street