http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

I'm with just a few others on this. If you drive something that big you need additional training and certification.

If you have to get a special endorsement (and often additional training) to drive something smaller (motorcycle) that is similar to what most of us have been riding since we were children (bicycle, dirt bike) then you most certainly need that training for something much larger than what most people drive all day. Many state laws also apply to you the nanosecond you cross the border and you are responsible for knowing (conceal and carry law, helmet law, etc.). Ignorance does not preclude guilt.

Maybe it is because I live in Atlanta (with one of the worst state driver education programs in the country) but I see someone do something amazingly stupid every day. And now that so many big rigs are captained by someone who can't read or write and can barely speak the English language things have gotten much worse in terms of how 4-wheelers try to interact with them on the highways.

My the laws aren't strict enough.

I mean, how did your buddy blow out two tires at the same time ? (curb). Is it possible that a little more training, education, or possibly patience would have helped that?