Regardless of how new or old the laws are they are difficult to find without doing numerous hours of research. I owned a 3/4 ton pickup and car trailer that were both licensed with the WVDMV here for well over 8 years before I found out that standard license plates did not make my truck legal when I had the trailer hooked to it. We actually have a B tag plate that you pay for based on the maximum amount you want your combo to be legal for. This probably had been on the "books" for a while but only was enforced when this hot shot business got big several years ago. You would think that someone at the DMV who looked at my info on the computer every time I went in there for 8 years in a row, would have said hey I see you have a trailer and pickup do you pull that trailer with that truck.

Another case in point is weight laws, the laws that are enforced on our Interstate network on commercial trucks are different in Maryland, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia (at a minimum, I am sure there are several other differences). I understand the whole state's rights argument but how can anyone make a good point that states should be allowed to enforce different weight laws on the Interstate network which was built and maintained with almost exclusively federal dollars and is utilized for most "interstate" truck traffic. It would seem that it would just make sense that these "laws" be consistent.

Anyway, my point is unless you sit down and do extensive research on all the states you travel in, you are boned.

As far as what the guy pitted beside me chooses to bring to the track, I could care less.

I have 3 kids under 9 years old, I will probably bring a go cart to the track and I will probably have a motorhome too. Double stacker might be necessary in 7 or 8 years if the kids get into the racing as much as I am..... Didnt know there would be someone out there that actually resents someone for busting the hump and doing well for themselves.

I think you missed the point, noone is wanting to get off "cheap". The point is that states have CREATED laws which differ from state to state, it is not even remotely easy to find these laws, and the subsequent fine for your combo being 2' too long or the difference if you are hauling with an intent to make profit, etc. causes you to get a $1,000 + fine. You could probably be going 20 to 30 mph over the posted speed limit in these same states and get a 150 or 200 dollar fine. I think I know which scenario is endangering more people. Just another fine example of too many layers of government and elected officials focusing hours of effort on something only to make it more confusing and cumbersome.

Happy hauling and racing, if you're gonna go, go big.

Last edited by BryanRad; 12/12/10 11:30 AM.