A 99 Hemi is a screamer not a grunter.

I have been trying a glide with my screamer with bad results. You run a high stall converter and the engine just lays on the stall too long due to the gear ratio. 1.96X5.57=10.92 not enough gear ration on launch with a 7,800 stall. 1.96X6.17=12.09 the car will attempt to leave and not lay on the converter but still has trouble when going in to high 12.09 back to 6.17 and lays on the converter too long again. This is the delima with the 1.96 first. Ran the 1.76 with a 4.88=8.59 with a 7,800 converter it still laid on the converter too long. Run a 7,100 stall and it would not hit as hard but would come off stall quicker and with a little tire would get wheel speed and do decent. Seems the lesser stall worked well with lesser tire and get some wheel speed. Turning the engine upstairs you make a gear change that could get you off stall quicker and accelerate the car. The high stall would just laber too much on the stall speed and the car goes no where. I've tried every gear from 4.88 to 6.17 and several varieties from PTC and also Lenny at Ultimates best guess. The fastest combo was an accident 1.76 first gear with a 4.88 rear and a 6,500 PTC 8" converter. The car grunted when it left and had to have some timing pulled in a few spots on launch but had a better 60 ft and did not lay on the stall speed anywhere but ran faster. Would like to try this with more rear gear as the engine can handle the gear ratio. It just seems the screamer style engines prove time and time again in comp to like more gears in the tranny. This way you can run a high stall converter and a lot of gear but never lay on the converter as it will quickly pick up due to gear ratio.

A 500" 99 hemi is nothing in comparison with a stroked wedge design. These engines make huge power but have tiny strokes. Look at a RPM graph off the data recorder on a Pro stock they never see anything below 8,500. You run a glide with a 28" tire and you are problably looking at a 5.38 gear. With that gear you will be 2.5 seconds into the run before the driveshaft sees the engine RPMX1.80(trans ratio). Then it will do it again after the gear change for about .8 seconds. I have talked to several people with engines of this type who switched from glides to Pro flites or sticks and the results were huge.

Beleive me I would love to figure this out and save a lot of money and headache. But, many people who have done this game successfully say it is just not an easy target to hit. Change over and you can't miss. Seems people running the Pro flites can survive with a high first gear, low 2.-'s in light cars but can't give up the extra ratios in the gear changes. 3,400 lbs is a lot to move with a 8,600 converter if the car does not pull ahead of that RPM pretty quick.

What kind of torque will the 99 hemi make at say 8,300 RPM. I know of one that would not run 5.0's in a 2300 car with a glide. Don't know the exact setup.

just saying hmmm....

Leon

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.