Since we can't live in somebody else's time (they don't make Deloreans and flux capacitors anymore), we're making our own good ol' days.

The Ramchargers are a big inspiration. Without the "we were the Ramchargers" book, I'm not entirely sure this project would have happened.

Take a look at the car behind the group. That's the exhibition car Garlits drove, complete with the signatures on the hood, etc and was the starting point.

Though everyone's smiling, things got off to a rough start. The water was never drained out of the 392 from when Garlits raced it, it had sat for a long time, and by the time we got it the block was badly rusted inside and freeze cracked. So the first thing we had to do was rebuild the motor, and check everything else out for proper operation etc.

The car already had a tci 904, 9" converter and 4.56 Moser axle in it, everything seemed fine after the engine rebuild (392 G3, similar to a crate motor but with a drag pak intake, same thing it had before) we hoped it was all ready to rock.

That wasn't the case. In initial testing we had no end of fuel system problems.....the car had been previously built with anodized hard aluminum fuel line, and all the anodizing was flaking off on the inside, which then clogged the filter AND all 8 fuel injectors. Nice. I couldn't even make it to the 60 foot mark without it dying. The picture above is from that session in November....

Fixed that, and then later before the snow fell, eventually it ran fairly consistant 10.30s. I don't recall mph, 60 foot time was somewhere in the low 1.50s.

Then the real work began.

5896713-dctcgrouppic.jpg (457 downloads)