I’m in the process off setting up the valve train on a 383 / 496 stroker engine with Indy 440ez heads, roller cam, Comp Cam hydr. Retrofit lifters, Hughes Aluminum Roller Rockers with hold down studs and billed hold downs.
Hughes recommends to set up the valve train in a way that the push rod and the rocker adjusting screw are in one common line @ 50% of the valve lift.
In order to achieve this I would need to raise the rocker shaft approx. 0,060”. This would require some special shims (common radii inside and outside, see pic:)

and are quite tricky to manufacture.
The question I have: is it really necessary to go through this effort or in other words, what is the technical background making it important to have this common line? Generally I would say in a perfect world the forces on the adjusting screw are minimized and therefor wear on the valve train is minimized. But since this is more a theoretical value (50% of valve lift is passed 2 times per opening cycle) do I really gain a lot by adjusting it?
Btw, the attached picture shows the angle @ 50% valve lift without any shims…

and here is the wipe pattern without shims (the inboard mark comes from fooling around with the rockers :)