In my experience with the last 3 senders, that test works, but its not 1005 accurate.

The sensitivity of the rheostat inside is very high. If you have shaky hands at all you will get error.

True, if you see a large swing in ohms there is an issue....but smaller swings or smaller dead spots may not be visible until it is installed and being affected by the actual fuel level.

In the cheap Spectra one from Rock auto, I found the dead spots by hand easily. On the better units from Roseville, not so easy....seems that the dead spots were much smaller...but still there.

We'll see what this one does I guess.

I am not expecting much to be honest. At this point I would settle for predictability at least....on the last sender I knew there was a short dead spot at half and 1/4 tank....un-nerving to look down and see "empty' but after a few tanks it was at least predictable.

I also keep a log of my mileage so as to know how many miles into a tank I am "just in case". Of course my speedo occasionally goes berserk, above 60 mph.....and affects the odometer....but that is a whole other thread...and one of the projects on my list....