Hey guys. Hoping someone may have some insight into this issue.

72 Barracuda. From what I can tell, stock tank. It had what appeared to be a stock sending unit in it when I got the car, and it was toast.

I bought a new one from Rock Auto....got it and found it didnt read right. Like it would read 1/2 tank when the tank was full. bent the float arm and after numerous trials and errors got it to read right at half and full. But found it had numerous dead spots....the gauge would go to empty for a few miles and then go back to the correct level.

Well, thinking it was a cheap sender I sent it back and bought a "better" one from a well knowm Mopar restoration outlet. The unit had a larger price, about $50 more as I recall....the unit LOOKS to be better quality for sure. Ok, so installed that and found that it read a half tank when the tank was full.

Many more trials and errors , which includes draining the tank to half so I can pull the sender , and I once again have it reading properly at half and full. But this time I find I still have two dead spots...one at half and one at 1/4 tank. I confirmed that it was the sender by running several tanks of fuel through it. Every time, same spots, same results...drops to empty. A few miles later and it goes back up. At least it was predictable.

I brought this to the attention of the vendor and he suggested I return it sinice it wasnt right.

Well, I have the new one in and once again, I have a half tank of fuel in it (8.25 gallons) and the gauge reads just barely off of empty.

Before I go thru yet another round of drains/bending/refills, does anyone have any ideas here?

I have checked the sender out of the tank, hooked up to the wiring/gauge.....when the float is all the way down the gauge (stock dash) read empty.....all the way up, it reads full. Just like it should.

The tank appears to be stock and it does hold just about 16.5 gallons or so.

The ground strap is new....and connected good. I even ran a second ground wire and ran it straight to the battery to see if that would change things....no change at all.

I for the life of me cant understand why I am having this weird issue.

It seems like the sender is the wrong one or something for the tank.

But I have looked and the same sender unit is specified for all years of e body cars.

Anyone? I am at wit's end!