Thanks a ton pacnorthcuda, you don't know me but it feels great right now to have some forgiveness for past wrong doings from one's peers. So, let me guess, you have an orange 383 in your BS23N? And maybe you also won't mind saying if it has an HP or HP2 stamped anywhere on the engine pad near distributor hole? Thanks again bro.

One thing I noticed in all of this.

One person said they had an 087 in line 4 of b-cast sheet. Mine is 086. Here must be the final answer. The logic however is eluding us. Why rob a customer of 5 hp when A/C is installed when the A/C robs us of even more hp and adds weight?

Were 335hp engines on assembly line 087...and 330hp were 086. If so, then that wasn't so hard.

Where does one get the breakdown info for engine assembly codes on line 4 to decipher the difference between 086 and 087 on b-cast sheet.

If I had the ability to decipher every code in Lines 3 and 4 on VIN info years ago when I found the broadcast sheet I could have helped set the facts straight long ago.

Most of line 3 and 4 VIN codes are simply the last few digits of the factory designated part numbers...easy enough to decode with a parts catalog. Yet engine codes are not found there when orering a replacement engine short block.

Thanks again bro!