We sent 3 hours yesterday and could only get it about 1/2 from being seated fully. We were putting so much force without it going in, that we were worried something was wrong - it was also then dark outside. Pulled it back out and everything seems fine - no gnarled teeth on either side. This engine and tranny has even been together before.

Is it really just that difficult? Is it easier to just pull the tranny and install them together?

Since you said you've had this engine and trans together before, I can only think of 2 things that might help.

1) You say with a clutch aligning tool it is right? Try putting it back in and moving the clutch fork in and out while moving the back of the tool, or old input shaft. It might be off just enough that with the weight on the back of the trans, it's just a few mm's off-enough to give you fits!
2) When I try to stuff a A-833 in, I get under neath with my knees and both hands on the trans, pushing and wiggling it forward, even turning it clockwise and counter-clockwise while pushing it towards the front of the vehicle. I alway have it locked in 1st gear while wiggling it. It's a heavy beast, so supporting it with both knees and hands helps it get stuffed in while wiggling it.

One other thing, what new parts (besides the clutch plate) did you use since the last time the engine and trans was together?