Quote:

Quote:

DUDE you are definately doin it tuff.....I see you havent mentioned weather or not you are loading the gear set when setting the pattern?? I cant see any marks on the spool or ring from a lever or like?
Cuple tips, always clean the paint/paste off the both ring & pinion each time you make a shim or BL change, dont apply to much paste (which you have there)it makes for difficult reading, the extra paste tends to wipe over the tooth & disturbs the pattern.

I've been putting a wrench on a ring gear bolt and using a breaker on the pinion to apply resistance to get the pattern. I'll clean it and try again with less compound on the teeth.

Quote:

I was thinking that quite awhile back that $50 to $100 spent with a reputable mechanic would have been well spent.

What, and miss all this fun? ...but seriously, I have the tools to do it, and it's only this bad the first time. Lesons learned this time will make the next sets easier and faster. Gotta learn somehow, right? No better way than by doing.

We do quite a few and usually get it set with in 3 or 4 resets.The first thing we do is check the carrier bore for proper centerline and then set the correct pinion depth,then we set the carrier shim packs behind the bearing races to get the ring close and backlash.We then install the shims on the carrier in the proper location and recheck and adjust if necessarry.On S-60s we just use a spanner wrench to set the ring gear.