Quote:

Maybe you can tell from the original plug? I believe the white/ red units, the white connects to the distributor male prong on the original plug.

Neither of the two wires is ground. The output of the dist. is an AC pulse. Because it goes both positive and negative, the polarity will affect timing (phasing) at the dist, so I'd assume that polarity is important.

Even though you probably know the phasing discussion turned into a huge fiasco, I'd bet that changing the polarity of those wires WILL change dist. phase by a large amount.

I would not cut off the original plug. those two prong plugs should be available easily at most any NAPA or other parts store, probably sold in pairs.

I don't WANT to cut off the plug! I am leaving the plug on the distributor, and I have the opposite plug that I removed from the wire harness that used to be on the Cuda, and I want to solder THAT plug and wires onto the MSD box, so that I can plug it straight into the stock distributor...but I cannot do that unless I know which wire is positive, and which wire is negative. the MSD shows green as the distributor negative, and purple as the distributor positive.

the spare plug I have has the brown/white and grey/black wires, exactly like the orange box ignition. the problem with that, is my wire diagram that came with the orange box simply shows "To distributor" and doesn't call out positive or negative...due to the design of the plug, it's impossible to screw that up, so they must have figured you didn't need to know which one was which.

that's all fine and dandy when you're plugging the orange box into the stock distributor because it's a simple "plug and play" but now that I want to put that style plug on the MSD box, I need to know which wire to connect to the green one from the MSD, and which wire to connect to the purple MSD...and the fact that they changed the color of the wires at the distributor plug further complicates things!

**Photobucket sucks**