First let me clarify that I know very little about electronic ignition systems and car electrical systems except they are needed to run the car. down

1967 Dodge Coronet R/T, 440HP engine converted to a Chrysler electronic ignition system. This was done more than 30 years ago before I bought the car. The ignition system worked fine for many years but over the last few it has given me fits. What is happening is that I am not getting spark to the coil so it won't start. When I turn the ignition switch off the engine kinda of "thumps" as if it got an instant spark and it feels like it is trying to turn the motor backwards. Occasionally it will start when I release the starter but very seldom. The magnetic pickup in the distributor was replaced several years ago. It now has an MSD coil. The ecu was replaced a couple of weeks ago as it was fried due to the it receiving 17 volts (per the mechanic). He replaced a wire from the voltage regulator to the ballast resistor and the car started and ran fine for a while. He said the alternator was working fine and putting out the proper voltage. But last weekend it wouldn't start again. It also had a brand new battery in it. Does anyone have any idea what is going on and suggestions on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for your input. I has always helped me in the past and is much appreciated as I love my Mopars but don't always know how to fix them. Bill