Originally Posted by Streetwize
I think Bob ran 314 cubes because he could get the most favorable power to (NHRA Factored) weight for a wedge head Pro Stock in 1979

Another huge advantage to the Arrow was it was narrow and had so much less frontal area compared to the typical A or F body or even the Camaros and mustang II's of the day.

I can't remember the first Fox body Mustang Pro stocker (maybe Nicholson ran one?) but I think that body style debuted in late 78, but the Arrow was still slicker than anything the competition was running. It almost looked like a Toy compared to other cars going down the track.

And for 79 I think Glidden ran the Fairmont instead of the new Mustang because back then I believe there was still the "Tiuana Taxi" weight break for anything over a 105" Wheelbase. It's interesting to think how cool it might have been for Glidden to have run the Volare....but Ma ran out of $$$ and went into Bankrupcy.

I’m thinking he ran that size engine because Chrysler already had the 305 crank and he just bored the block out. At that time crank sizes were not a dime a dozen like today.