I agree most don't know what's under the hood. But though it isn't "class" racing. But there are rules. And like any other class if you want to race in it you follow the rules. Most of the rules have been there from the begining: big block engine, full interior except back seat, 10.5 tires, no trans brake, air shift, starting line chip (except stick shift), 5" period style scoop. The old wheels look great. The trouble is, not all are up to the task. Trust me I tried them. 2 4150 carbs should be more than enough for any index we run (8.50 min). To be honest my highest mph was with eddy carbs. Do I agree with all the rules? No, but I abide by them. Personally I think they could've stayed the same as they were since day one. So if you want to run N/SS? Get an allowable body and a big block and do it. It has been opened up to 1971 full and midsize cars. Not one of those style cars has shown up since the rule change. Everyone of us that run the class has done exactly that. Great bunch of racers. It's a fun class. Index allows you to be competitive on a budget as well. The no electronics aspect is challenging. No way I could afford to run NHRA ckass stuff.
Doug