I don't buy the double carbs with the Indy 440-25 are slower. There are more than a few cars running tunnel rams in NMCA. All but one that I know of are slower than mine. And all but one are lighter as well. Raced with a few guys that have gone to a sinngle Dominator as well. If they wereany quicker it wasn't much. Many weren't any quicker. The 440-25 on my car is unmodified. It will run 9.0x just in just about any weather at 3350lbs. More than a few cars running two Eddys and Mod-Man intakes running 9.50 and 9.75 index in NMCA. Two eddys and a Mod Man cost is within $200 of a 850 Holley and a Victor intake. I don't know where you get $3000 dollar cost from. Now granted two custom built 4150's and a brand new 440-25 are close to $3K purchased brand new. Either way, a 4150 single or a pair of Eddy's are capable of running in the 9 second zone. But the beauty of N/SS is you don't need a 9 second car. As for the 5 speed if you only used 4 gears no one would ever notice. Lots of excuses why guys can't or won't run N/SS. But in reality it's not that restrictive.
Doug