In my younger years I put in a couple of shift kits and swapped torque convertors. No real experience. I paid a shop to rebuild a 727 I had to put into a restored 'Cuda I was doing. The transmission worked for a while, then started slipping in high gear and eventually wouldn't shift into 3rd at all. I drained the fluid and it was clear, not burnt. I called the shop that built the transmission, they said send it back. I had moved by then so that was 300 miles away now. I said, what the hell and bought the Monroe book and started taking the transmission apart. I found the issue was a bad front drum. The seal was getting eaten up over a casting flaw that must have been there since day one. I totally rebuilt this transmission with no prior experience and it still works beautifully 20 years later. I am no professional mechanic, just followed Monroe's directions. Very straightforward and clear. Go for it. Tear that unit down, and you'll learn so much and gain so much confidence. I have rebuilt several since then for myself and friends, and they have all gone well.

Picture 058.jpg