Originally Posted by fast68plymouth
There are different parameters one can look at to evaluate the effectiveness of an engine combo.

On the dyno I’ve used for the past 26 years, the “better” combos, running on gasoline with a single carb........ have one of those parameters falling into a pretty narrow range most of the time.

For sure, all the BB Mopars I’ve tested that were built along the lines of the OP’s combo fall into that narrow range.

The results on his dyno sheet have that parameter pretty far outside what I would consider the “normal” range........ without there being any reason(in my mind) why it would be that much better.

AndyF’s 572 example, along with Jeff’s 563....... also fall right into what I consider the normal range.

That parameter?
TQ/CI

Bob’s 529 is showing 1.465/ci........ which on the dyno here is extremely rare for a single carb on gas.
The normal range for typical bracket race builds?
Well, here they are normally in the 1.30-1.35 range.

I see nothing in Bob’s build that would indicate it would fall outside that window.

So, this also falls into the “racing dynos” theme, which is why I stipulated that the numbers would look quite a bit different if the engine were tested here, with my dyno headers......... in the same way all the other “better” combos belted out 1.30-1.35 TQ/CI.
Perhaps seeing 1.45+ TQ/CI isn’t that odd of an occurrence where Bob tested.
But no single carb BBM has ever really gotten close to that on the dyno here.

If the TQ/CI number for Bobs 529 ended up at 1.35 here, the peak TQ number would be about 715 instead of in the 770’s.

Looking thru a pile of old dyno sheets, I only see one single carb BBM build that exceeded 1.35, which is a 14:1 572 with 4401-345’s on it...... and that one went 1.37.
There are also quite a few sheets from pretty nice running combos, making what I feel is decent power....... that didn’t quite make it to 1.30.

OK yes but the peaks and there corresponding RPM to me makes me consider the cam is not what it was advertised. And the headers being so small they could compound that to help explain the RPM AND the unusually high torq value as well.