Originally Posted by clovis
I measured the pistons tonight, and the rings are 031 Dykes (which are nearly impossible to find) The top groove measures .075, if I have them cut to accept a 1/16 ring, how tall does the groove need to be? .0645? That should leave a little undercut above the ring which I’ve read can still help the ring seal.

What are the recommendations for rings and where to get them?

I made a couple of practice hits with the hone on my old block. I bought a variable speed controller but it doesn’t go down far enough as I am having a hard time controlling my speed. If I can get it slowed downed at a consistent speed the 45 angle is much easier to get otherwise your stroke rate has to be very aggressive. I’m probably in the 25-30 degree range now.

I use a variable speed 1/2 drill it has a threaded button to control how far you can pull the trigger. If I remember right about 300 rpm's is the right speed or as you said you have to plunge the drill very fast up and down if it spins faster. From experience be careful if you hit the main bearing web with the hone the drill will wrap you up. I taught engine rebuilding at a technical college for 26 years the students tore up so many hones I bought this travel limiter. https://www.ebay.com/itm/225482665263 It was also a safety thing I was worried they might break some fingers.