Quite different in South Dakota than in Wisconsin. The fee for a Collector or Hobbyist plate on a pickup is $250, for a car its $200.But once paid that plate is not renewed bi-annually like a regular plate. Here in WI the Collector or Hobbyist plated vehicle is limited to no legal use in January. Also, for a pickup truck the load carried is limited to 500 lbs. Since I plan to haul motorcycles that means an officer could pull me over suspecting the motorcycle in back weighs more than 500 lb should I have a Collector plate on my 56 pickup. I think the standard plate registration fee for a 1/2 ton pickup in WI is $125 for two years.

Now, some will say "WI is expensive to register a vehicle." But, WI has no toll roads, but WI has higher gas tax, some communities have a road use tax. WI registration fee is not calibrated to the vehicle market value, same fee for a 1956 pickup or a 2022 pickup. Also, other than a few counties around Milwaukee and Madison, WI does not require a vehicle/emissions inspection in order to register your vehicle. So up here in Green Bay, if the catalytic converter has gone awry you can just cut it out of the exhaust and pipe it through (yes, you'll have to tweak an O2 sensor to avoid a fault code). Interesting thought, since I plan to mount the cab/box of my 56 Dodge pickup onto my 2001 Dakota chassis, in WI the 56 cab VIN will identify it as a 1956 Dodge. As such I can legally use it as a 1956 vehicle relative to emissions. So I can chose to not have catalytic convertors in the exhaust.

My 56 C3-B8 Dakota build