Originally Posted by moparx
cudaman and geetar are correct. i guess it depends on how comfortable a guy is tearing into these things, plus having the necessary tools to do so. which i completely forgot to mention ! spank
i guess in Gene's case, it would probably be best to have someone who knows the ins and outs of these transmissions, do the job.
it's too bad you aren't [lots] closer. there is a guy down by the Pittsburgh airport that is VERY good with these transmissions.
beer

They really aren't that complicated. The 727 is probably the simplest auto trans there is, part of what makes them so reliable. The 518 is basically the same with a compounder added to the back of it. If you have a press with a little ingenuity and fabrication you can get the O/D portion apart. I once used a floor jack and my steel work bench to get one apart. It looked pretty sketchy but it worked. Of course the tools are available and probably don't cost that much.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.