Originally Posted by gregsdart
Originally Posted by 6PAX
The cam I installed in my engine has the rpm range listed at 3600-7600. What stall speed toque converter would be best suited for this cam? Would a factory torque converter from an h.p. 383/440 be O.K. or do I need to go aftermarket and get a higher stall converter? Rear gears are 3.73.

A cam listed with those rpm hi and low points is quite radical, requiring a high stall of some sort. What you need depends on end usage. Race only? Probably a high 5,000 to over 6000 stall. Street driving part of the equation? Tighter. But most likely 4,000 minimum for decent results. There are so many variables, only a good converter builder will know what to recomend. I am guessing the minimum price for a quality
Converter will be in the range of $750 and up, and most likely more. DO NOT go for a bargain priced unit! Get a part time gig. Sell the cat, what ever it takes but buy QUALITY.

OP didn't offer enough info to help him.....you know that.

He needs to call a converter builder and answer the questions they are going to ask. Then he will get in the ballpark.
Asking here barely gets you in parking lot of the ball park.

Speaking to converter builders has taught me more than OP will ever learn from "us" guessing at his situation and goals.

OP, there are 3 people you never lie to....your wife, your doctor, and your converter guy. And not in that order.

Last edited by usp4u; 10/24/22 08:55 PM.