Originally Posted by dragon slayer
Originally Posted by 1fastrunner
I have, and have had the FBO box on my car for close to 20 years. Everything has been great after a few problems were corrected in the initial usage. The first distributor set up was not a good fit for my setup, but the second setup was perfect. The real issue I had was with the ballast. I had replaced my original wiring harness with one made by Evans (?). It had a 4 pin ballast connector, so I got a 4 pin ballast. We chased all kinds of issues from running great one second to nothing the next. Switched out distributors, changed plugs, set and reset the timing. I was at a show just outside Rochester and a fellow Moparts member solved my problem in a second. Tom Quadrini was looking at my car and asking questions. When I told him all the issues with the way it was running, he told me the ballast was the problem. The 4 pin was throwing off the resistance. When I switched to the 2 pin, the problem was solved.

What would be helpful to know is how was it wired? Were you using the second ballast to the FBO box or was the issue of using the wrong resistor to the coil?
would a FBO box from 20yrs ago be the black box and not the newer box with the rev limiter? if so then it's basically a LX101 with an american made transistor. i used to have one and for the most part liked it.