For what it is worth for those looking which way to go on ignition systems. I just installed an FBO box on my Hemi Charger. Two test runs in, working very well. I always had a bit of discontent with the set up I had in that sitting in traffic, with a 248 @50 duration cam and an automatic, the car was never totally comfortable. I swear I could feel the plugs fouling until I could get in the clear, where it would then run great. I was running a vintage Mopar Chrome box.

So two runs in, it seems to be idling stronger with more “purpose”, a bit cleaner also. Acceleration is good, a noticeable improvement when punching it off a 35 mph cruise. Starts quickly. I am timed at 17.5 degrees at 900 idle in neutral, 35 degrees all in mechanically...this is where I was the chrome box as well. I am running a standard vacuum advance. Factory tach (repro).

More to come. For those wondering how I did the ballast, I bought one of the new ones that don’t have any filling on the back, this let me easily remove and replace the resistance unit with a 10 ga wire that I crimped then soldered in place. I then filled the back with some white JB Weld to keep the whole thing stable. I was also very deliberate to make sure the box was well grounded (I have it hidden behind the passenger headlight assembly).

So I will see if this works out. The plugs will tell the story in a few weeks (and will it be reliable of course). If this doesn’t work as a long term solution then I think I might try the Ignitor III with the multi-spark…though I worry a bit how that will work with the factory tach, and I would miss my full advance timing light (as I hear these are often problems with multi-spark).

DK

DD598525-049D-433A-9EB3-940D6B44F9DE.jpeg
Last edited by Kowal; 10/19/22 05:44 AM.

'69 Hemi Charger 500, ‘70 U code Challenger R/T
(These and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

P.J. O'Rouke: "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."