Thanks for the engine bay compliments.

I also had tried one of the blue JEGS ECU boxes. So I went chrome (when built), blue JEGS, chrome and now FBO.

On the Charger the JEGS blue box was “uninspiring”, maybe a better idle but less overall feel in performance. On my Challenger I still have one of the blue boxes on it, but the Challenger is bone stock other than the electronic ignition set up and it runs very well.

I admit the new generations of “mopar like” ECU boxes leave me cold. I took the JEGS blue box that I had on my Charger apart and was amazed at the use of sand before the application of the potting material, the not very robust links to the connector and the completely nonfunctional pretend transistor on the front of the box (so it has the Mopar look).

This whole sequence led me to try the FBO which I had thought about for some time. I should note that this has been a pretty slow progression on my part…I have had the Charger for 10 years and the car has always run well, I am just trying to make it a bit better. I have a couple of plugs that foul sooner than they should, and after trying hotter plugs, different plug brands, lots of carb tuning with only modest improvement, I decided to start messing with the ignition. I have a SUN distributor machine, so I also set up my own distributors and try different curves and use the FBO limiter plate for the length of the advance curve..that plate works really well.

Last edited by Kowal; 06/28/22 05:24 PM.

'69 Hemi Charger 500, ‘70 U code Challenger R/T
(These and a bunch others at www.dkowal426.com)

P.J. O'Rouke: "The old car ran perfectly, right up until it didn't."