Originally Posted by 6PAX
Originally Posted by AndyF
Why not use the stock 440 balancer that you already have?

This engine build goes back 5 years (which happens to be when I bought the balancer). I have no engine building experience so a distant family member (through in-laws) offered to build it for me. He got as far as getting the rotating assembly and camshaft installed and then he suddenly passed away. The engine has been on the engine stand in my garage ever since so I am now trying to finish it up myself. I got the heads, rocker arm assemblies, distributor and water pump installed. All I have left at this point is installing the balancer, pullies and intake and I can then put the engine in the car. To answer your question about the 440 balancer, the guy who was building the motor suggested I get a new balancer since everything else was new (with the exception of the block) which is why I didn't use the 440 one.

See if the 440 balancer will fit and work. Try it to see if the pulley alignment is correct. If it works then no reason you can't use it. Nothing else, it will show you what a proper fit looks and feels like.