Originally Posted by HoosierTA
Looked for and may missed it, but I haven’t seen a reply that contains the comment of telling your kid- you get a license at 16’ because the chauffeur service ends then.

I got a buddy who worked the odd hours so he could drive his 20 year old to his pizza job and back. Cotton picking unbelievable. My buddies step dad would have to,d him to oil his bicycle chain up and hit it, so I don’t know where it comes from.

Had I needed to I probably would have told them that. No need to as they were both ready to drive. We also encouraged it by paying for driver's ed. It was a little tight on the budget, but we also paid for fuel and insurance as long as they were involved in something outside of simply going to school. That could be sports, clubs, etc. Their "job" was school, but they also worked part time for a friend who has a restoration shop (yes, both of them). Now, in their late 30s, they both have families of their own and own houses worth a good bit more than ours. We also had them do the bulk of the out of town driving while they were new drivers. The goal was getting them as much experience behind the wheel as possible before they were adults.

But, in the end our goal was to make independent adults so that we could enjoy the empty nester years.