Over 55 years old looking for a new position with another firm is difficult. Over 60 years old, really really hard in a mid management position. Shoot, over 50 years old puts you in a marginal situation.

When they say "we are building for the future", that is not you.

I see people, much younger than I am, who started the same time as I did, have moved on to other firms The organization again looks for other young hires, that is how business in America thinks.

Age discrimination is very real, don't kid yourself. Reference articles about others over 55 wishing to move but can't so they retire.

If your goal is to work to increase your retirement situation, think long and hard.

The "gig" economy with no security or benefits is not at all friendly to older workers. It is not friendly to young marrieds either.

The goal for a lot of people seems to be, have a startup, sell out. Or flip something after a couple of years for a large upside.

Be honest with your answers, phrase answers positively, and try to anticipate what the potential employer is looking for. Lower end jobs are easy, upper management is harder than you think, and mid management is really hard.

Whatever you think about your skills, realize that older workers are being discounted-fact of life..

What are your goals?