Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I have friends, Father and Son, that bent up their 24 ft. enclose car trailer and 2006 Dodge 3500 dually getting off the # 70 going south onto the #15 at Cove Fort Utah when they got onto that bridge to fast in January several years back.
They had picked up a 1970 428 Cobra Jet Mustang that was all apart from a Widow in Denver, I had advised, warned them to go south to the #40 from Denver and come home to SO CA that way but they didn't shruggy

Suckers for punishment. I've only driven I-70 west from Grand Junction to I-15, but there's some big pulls just on that section. Plus the Ike Gauntlet to the east. Pretty sure I-40's a lot flatter. Hell of a lot more truck traffic on 40 vs 70. Both times I ran I-70, it would have been very easy to leg it along at 90-100, as traffic was way thin. A 2010 Nitro will happily run 85 all day. But, when it sees a grade like the San Rafael Swell, it gets real easy to wish you had another 60-70 hp on tap. smile

I-40 is a pot hole laden piece of crapola! From Kingman to Flagstaff it is basically destroyed and my kidneys are just now feeling better! I will never take that route again! mad

I only drove that stretch twice, and the last was a dozen years back. I don't recall it being smooth, now that you mention it, but it was a dozen years better than it probably is now. smile