If I remember correctly... wrench

The 440-6 had TRW 6-pack pistons in it. The cam was a Comp hydraulic roller with 236° intake duration, and something like .549" lift. The exhaust duration was 5 or 6 degrees more, and the exhaust lift was very close, but not identical to the lift on the intake side. The Hemi had a cam (also ground by Comp) that was not itself identical to the one in the 440, but once the rocker ratios of the Ray Barton Hemi rockers were taken into account... the *effective* lift and duration of the Hemi cam was very close, nearly identical to that of the cam used in the 440-6 for this shoot-out.

The heads on this 440-6 were some of the first heads that Dulcich himself ported, many years ago when he was first learning to do port work. He mentioned that he had used this very same set of heads on various different short blocks over the years, and that they still had factory valves in them. Nothing fancy... iron heads with beginner's port work.
The Hemi also had iron heads on it, just as it came from Mopar Performance as a crate engine, back in the early mid-90's.

Looking at the dyno graphs after the pulls for both engines were complete, they pointed out that the 440-6 got into what seemed to likely be a bit of valve float near the upper end of its pull. The Hemi, however, was pulled to a higher RPM (seems like it was 5 or 600 more RPM), to bear witness to how the larger port heads/smaller cubic inch engine could actually come to life later in a quarter mile drag race, as many times the Hemi did... overcoming its competition later in the 1/4 mile... somewhere after/beyond the 1/8th.

One interesting thing about them pulling the Hemi to the higher RPM was, the dyno graph for the Hemi showed no signs or indications of any valve float. So, I'm assuming (guessing) that they used different valve springs/pressures on the Hemi, or perhaps this stability could be attributed to the difference in the Ray Barton rockers/rocker ratios that were run on this particular engine. Both engines (I'm assuming again) would have been equipped with identical hydraulic roller lifters, eliminating a variable there.
Seems like the valves in the Hemi would be a bit heavier than those in the 440, and if that is correct, this is another variable that was overcome by either a better valve spring, or the cam profile being ever so slightly different due to accomodating the Hemi's different rocker ratio(s)... or perhaps, a combination of these differences. Not trying to make rocket science out of this, but.... work

All in all, I really enjoyed and appreciated this episode. thumbs