Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
I'm 53 and will be able to retire at 55 (wife is retiring in two months at 55). With service leave and vacation I only need to work another year before I actually head out the door.

To tell you the truth I'm a little worried. Later in life I have gotten more and more lazy and I'm scared I will become someone who just sits around. In my 20's - 30's I would come home from work and spend hours in the shop, all day on weekends. Now I come home, do a few things for 30 minutes or so and then just sit and watch TV. I still spend most of the weekends working in the shop and around the house. Hopefully I find that the time I spend at work now is taking too much out of me and once I retire I can use that energy/time to do something else.

Anyone else nervous about pending retirement?

I've had similar thoughts. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks, wife is 48. She can retire in 9 years with her 30 year pension. The 35 year pension is more than double, but the idea of retiring at 59/58ish is too good to pass up. We're going to travel a lot initially, and then maybe each get a part time job while continuing to travel. That combination will keep us from being bored. Also, no idea where our 2 kids will be living at that point, so we'll potentially be spending time traveling to see them as well. Plan is also to sell the house and downsize.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP