Moparts

Are u retired what fun things r u doing?

Posted By: rdrnr6970

Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 09:51 AM

Just thinking about retiring want to still keep busy any thoughts?
Posted By: maximus

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 11:07 AM

First 2 years of retirement went into fixing things around the house and property. Third year been riding the Harley a lot with the wife. Now have more free time and had to get another project car to tinker with in the garage, so went out and bought a front engine dragster. Never been happier in my life. Retirement is great. Also help the four kids with there projects. Always busy. Plan on traveling a little more next year if the Covid thing is over. More time to see friends at the car cruises in the evenings.

Attached picture Dragster.JPG

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 12:11 PM

Thats Awesome!Thanks makes me think! drive
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 12:53 PM

I seem to be busier now. Always something to do..No regrets. For example yesterday, took trash to the dump, finished cutting grass, changed the lawn mower blades and washed the car and went to the store to pick up some things. Thursday I picked up the new exhaust manifold for my truck and installed it and so on....

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 01:06 PM

Yeah between house projects,organizing our shop building,,,maybe work aliitle low stress job..Ie..autozone,some car place..i thought about working for a boat builder but i dont know that much about boats.lol!Just to make alittle extra money...maybe a car project in our future.Well see. drive
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by maximus
First 2 years of retirement went into fixing things around the house and property. Third year been riding the Harley a lot with the wife. Now have more free time and had to get another project car to tinker with in the garage, so went out and bought a front engine dragster. Never been happier in my life. Retirement is great. Also help the four kids with there projects. Always busy. Plan on traveling a little more next year if the Covid thing is over. More time to see friends at the car cruises in the evenings.

Pretty much the same exact story. First couple years fixing "some day" projects around the house. Finally have my shop nearly completed. Finally am going to be able to work on projects I've been buying parts for almost 50 years. Trying to do more traveling, there are places in this great country I've never seen that I want to before I croak.

If I could have afforded it I would have retired at 62 rather than 64.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 03:06 PM

every day around here seems like a monday ! stuff breaking, doc & hospital visits, house falling down.................... panic
i need to get a job so i have time to work on fun stuff. biggrin
beer
Posted By: dOc !

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 03:08 PM

mopX.... You’ve never VISITED .... tsk
Posted By: 67vertman

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 04:05 PM

I just retired the end of last year. Been busy with the move and fixing my new lace and the kids new place, plus watching the grand daughter. I have about ten semi big thing to do to the Cuda, such as put in the new transmission, fix the door hinges, repaint it, and do the headliner, so no I am not busy at all. grin
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 05:39 PM

I’m 60 and plan on retiring next fall, tired of working 12 hour swing shifts. I used to fish a lot in the winter but haven’t the last several years. I considered selling my boat but decided to keep it for retirement. I used to build houses and kept all of my tools when I quit to work in chemical plants so I can do small jobs if I want. I’ve never traveled much so my plan is to take about a month and see the west.

Listening to my wife’s plans I may have to get a after retirement job for some rest/relief. laugh2

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 06:02 PM

My wife said youve worked 32 years its good to retire.Now just dont get a stressful job,work part time.Maybe i could sell cars!lol!
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 07:14 PM

Been retired for 30+ years. At the risk of roiling the mods, I have taken up ammo reloading since there's little/none to be had. A new learning experience.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 08:11 PM

I was originally thinking retire this month.
Job opportunity presented itself about 6 months ago I couldnt pass up.
So Im thinking give it a year,,,,maybe 2 years, tops. then do what I want ,,,when I want
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 08:15 PM

Retired 3 years ago after 30 years. I keep real busy with the wife, kids, cars, houseboat, jet boat, and our mid century modern home. Never a dull moment since the day I left!

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Been retired for 30+ years. At the risk of roiling the mods, I have taken up ammo reloading since there's little/none to be had. A new learning experience.

I’ve been rolling my own for years, a hobby within a hobby.
Posted By: tboomer

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 09:10 PM

308 please... whistling
Posted By: resqguy

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/04/21 09:18 PM

I was forced into retirement last year. I was on the path to retirement at the time but didn't yet have all the pieces in place. Not good. I ended up having to sell my house to clear a bunch of debt. I took what was left of my equity and bought some land. I am now in the process of building a house as the owner builder. I'm hoping to reclaim some equity by doing that.

The new house will have a 4 car garage and once it is finished I will start restoring my Charger.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 03:06 AM

Oct 1st will mark the beginning of my 4th year of retirement. My official retirement date was 10/2018.
I did another full year of just mornings (self employed, and had many customers I only saw a few times a year).
The 1st year I finished building a 39 Dodge pickup hot rod and discovered I didn't fit in it very well. I pretty much quit working on other people's stuff 10/2019.
At the beginning of 2020, I located a 49 Dodge pickup project, which I started in July, 2020, after the 39 sold. I plated the 49 in June 2021, its not done, but it is road worthy and will get body work and paint next year.

Then I started cleaning things up around the shop and the house. I've been running a welding shop out of my 2 car garage for 20 years. This winter, I intend to be able to park 2 cars in my two car garage. Its getting close, but time is running out.

Next year I will finish up the 49, then we intend to cruise either my 48 Plymouth coupe, or my 49 Dodge pickup. I would like to see what not having a time commitment looks like. I can tell you I won't be spending my time sitting in the lazy boy doing nothing.
I feel that one chapter in my life is nearly complete. I don't know exactly what the next chapter looks like, but I'm looking forward to the change. Gene
Posted By: jughed

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 12:57 PM

I'm busier than ever before since retiring in March. No work schedule to use as an excuse for putting off what needs done. #1 priority is getting the hell out of this sad state. Bought a house and acres in Missouri (closing is next week), so I'm keeping busy preparing to move. I have more stuff than i really need and will be selling off and giving away a lot of it. Luckily i won't have to sell the current home anytime soon so there's no rush in making the move.
Gonna miss the 48' x 36' shop because the garage on the property in Mo. is a touch smaller, meaning that the nonessential MoPar parts, blocks, and transmissions will most likely be put up for sale at the next swap meet in Indy (that's IF it happens). Sorting through and labeling the parts has kept me busy.
Been putting the Dart back together too. Will be ready for the Moparty in Bowling Green.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by rdrnr6970
Just thinking about retiring want to still keep busy any thoughts?

Try using full words instead of texting like a silly kid!

Attached picture 1 facepalm 1.JPG

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 07:29 PM

I think building a mopar dragster might be fun! drive
Posted By: 340SIX

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 07:45 PM

This thread reminds me if an old joke. Town plant closes up everyone in town is older so most retire.
News sends reporters, she asks one group at a coffee shop what do you do with your time now?
One guy says mostly Screw and Hunt and Fish not much else to do around here.
So she thinks quick what do you hunt?
He says mostly someone wanting to screw.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 09:15 PM

Retired in 2007 moved from Michigan to Tennessee, built a new house and shop on 7 acres. I drag raced every weekend track was open, sold the drag car three years ago after my local track closed. We spend at least two months every winter traveling in our class A motor home checking items off our bucket list. Since 2013 I have built and sold several old trucks. Last year I built a street rod that is now for sale. When it sells I’ll take the cash and start another one. Not bad for a 76 year old geezer. The secret is to find something you enjoy and keep doing it. Don’t stop and set around doing nothing it will kill ya.

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/05/21 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by 340SIX
This thread reminds me if an old joke. Town plant closes up everyone in town is older so most retire.
News sends reporters, she asks one group ast a coffee shop what do you do with your time now?
One guy says mostly Screw and Hunt and Fish not much else to do around here.
So she thinks quick what do you hunt?
He says mostly someone wanting to screw.

shock laugh2
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 02:13 AM

I like to spend the day looking for something I know I have but won't find until three days later when I run across it while looking for something else that I won't find until sometime next week when I'm looking for something else I won't find and the cycle starts all over.
Posted By: Fat_Mike

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 03:50 AM

Yeah between house projects,organizing our shop building,,,maybe work aliitle low stress job..Ie..autozone,some car place..i thought about working for a boat builder but i dont know that much about boats.lol!Just to make alittle extra money...maybe a car project in our future.Well see. drive

Just don't become a boat owner or you'll need another (non-retirement) income source. Otherwise, boats are kinda fun.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 07:15 AM

I was RIF in 1997 after working for the local Telephone companies (3) for 33 yrs, the same company bought all three so all my time counted towards retirement income.
What they offered for my buy out and what I had saved in my 401K invested would make the same amount or more money that I was earning at that time so I took it and haven't look back since up
I'm still drag racing and making Hi Po Mopar motors for the locals here and some others across the nation and I've built several Pro Street car to flip. I don't paint or do upholstery so I farm that out, I try to break even or make a little bit so I can continue doing that, the drag racing isn't making any me any money so maybe it is time to stop driving the car and see if I can get a decent driver in the car to get back to winning here locally luck
Your future is in your hands, thank carefully and do your best to succeed and have fun at the same time up work scope
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 07:47 AM

Cab for president!

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones
I like to spend the day looking for something I know I have but won't find until three days later when I run across it while looking for something else that I won't find until sometime next week when I'm looking for something else I won't find and the cycle starts all over.

did i learn that from you, or did you learn that from me ? nervous
beer

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by moparx

beer

You guys have been watching me in the shop! help
Posted By: ro23_j

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 09:36 PM

I retired 2 years ago after 46 years with the same employer. Celebrated my 70th birthday 3 weeks ago. Spent today completing a 20 mile bicycle ride with family on the Western Maryland Rail Trail. Started at Big Pool and turned around in Hancock. We were celebrating our grand daughter's 12th birthday. She wanted to do a bike ride.

Nice trail, good weather, great day!
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/06/21 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by justinp61
Originally Posted by moparx

beer

You guys have been watching me in the shop! help

Not sure where or when I learned it but it's not fun anymore. laugh2
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/07/21 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fat_Mike

Just don't become a boat owner or you'll need another (non-retirement) income source. Otherwise, boats are kinda fun.

Yeah, same with airplanes. I had to sell my flyin' machine (money pit) after retirement.

Attached picture N1473T (Small).jpg

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/07/21 05:48 PM

Hey thats a nice plane!Yeah id dont think well have plane or boat money.... boat=BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND!!LOL! Maybe a nice mopar to work on besides all the other stuff il be donig. drive
Posted By: Schultz62

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/07/21 07:13 PM

Not retired yet...hell I may never be able to. Funny as I work for a major financial planning firm. I posted because I like the idea to run a front engined digger. I often think of picking up an abandoned rail(have a friend that sold his extended rail for next to nothing) or even an odd ball car. As car guys we have lots of parts. whistling Why not get together and make tracks?? Welding experience and tools. Yes. Tuning experience. Check. Paint and body work. Check. Knowledge of parts and bodies? Unlimited.

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/07/21 07:36 PM

Sounds like great idea.

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/08/21 02:57 PM

and yesterday, i laid under the kitchen sink fixing the line going to the sprayer. mad
as Anna Roseanna Dana was fond of saying : "It's ALWAYS Something !"
beer
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/08/21 04:43 PM

I'm 53 and will be able to retire at 55 (wife is retiring in two months at 55). With service leave and vacation I only need to work another year before I actually head out the door.

To tell you the truth I'm a little worried. Later in life I have gotten more and more lazy and I'm scared I will become someone who just sits around. In my 20's - 30's I would come home from work and spend hours in the shop, all day on weekends. Now I come home, do a few things for 30 minutes or so and then just sit and watch TV. I still spend most of the weekends working in the shop and around the house. Hopefully I find that the time I spend at work now is taking too much out of me and once I retire I can use that energy/time to do something else.

Anyone else nervous about pending retirement?

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/08/21 05:00 PM

Im cant wait to retire im beat!lol!But i know i cant just stay homt all day.I was sick earlier this year and had to stay home and i got almost nothing done,just sat around because of medical stuff and it wasnt good for me.So my wife will have a honey do list,nothing to crazy,maybe il have a mopar to work on and probably work at a auto zone with parts thats what will probably happen,low stress hopefully and work part time for extra gas money. drive
Posted By: 70sixpkrt

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/08/21 08:44 PM

I've been retired for 7 years. Got a dog 2 months after retiring and fully trained her. That was my full time gig. Yellow lab. Kept busy doing errands with the dog. Wife is working and the kids are out of the house. Well, the dog passed 4 months ago. Sudden death. Now it is kind of hard to keep busy. My wife travels for her work and I'm her bag boy. Covid hit and she doesn't travel as much. I'm starting to look for things to do. Damn Covid. Oldest daughter just had my first grandson. That should keep me busy when she goes back to work in Dec.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/08/21 10:30 PM

Im cant wait to retire im beat!lol!But i know i cant just stay homt all day.I was sick earlier this year and had to stay home and i got almost nothing done,just sat around because of medical stuff and it wasnt good for me.So my wife will have a honey do list,nothing to crazy,maybe il have a mopar to work on and probably work at a auto zone with parts thats what will probably happen,low stress hopefully and work part time for extra gas money. drive

I was thinking maybe a part time gig at an auto parts store might be a good fit as well .

Ive already been offered 2 post retirement jobs if I want them . 1 is here at airport as a part time projects guy, Basically rides around in a truck all day ( air conditioned ) job just guides and keeps an eye on companies / personnel working inside the AOA fence. Could do a few days a week year round OR work a few months out of the year and do my own thing the rest of the year .

I just know I'll need to do something to keep me active and out of the wifes hair ( she works from home )

Although I already know there are some house remodel jobs are looming in the near future.......

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/09/21 03:32 PM

spoiling your grandson should keep you busy ! biggrin
beer
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/09/21 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
I'm 53 and will be able to retire at 55 (wife is retiring in two months at 55). With service leave and vacation I only need to work another year before I actually head out the door.

To tell you the truth I'm a little worried. Later in life I have gotten more and more lazy and I'm scared I will become someone who just sits around. In my 20's - 30's I would come home from work and spend hours in the shop, all day on weekends. Now I come home, do a few things for 30 minutes or so and then just sit and watch TV. I still spend most of the weekends working in the shop and around the house. Hopefully I find that the time I spend at work now is taking too much out of me and once I retire I can use that energy/time to do something else.

I've had similar thoughts. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks, wife is 48. She can retire in 9 years with her 30 year pension. The 35 year pension is more than double, but the idea of retiring at 59/58ish is too good to pass up. We're going to travel a lot initially, and then maybe each get a part time job while continuing to travel. That combination will keep us from being bored. Also, no idea where our 2 kids will be living at that point, so we'll potentially be spending time traveling to see them as well. Plan is also to sell the house and downsize.
Posted By: klunick

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/10/21 12:46 AM

56 here and the wife is 50. She can retire in a little over 3 years with a 30 year pension. That is part of the picture. She can't collect it until she is 55. Even in 5 years I'll only be 61 so not able to collect SSI for another year. I understand her point in that right now she drives 130 miles each day round trip but am trying to show her that 5 years is actually more reasonable. That and we have our youngest son in HS still so 4 years for college(if we are lucky) and bingo, he is done. So what are our plans? We live in Maryland and they tax the heck out of you so moving to the Smoky Mtns is our goal. Because I'm diabetic, will still need health insurance so want to get myself some easy job with health insurance. Need to finish the hot rods off and am heading in the right direction there but lots to do. Will probably need a 4 car garage built also. Semi-retirement sounds kinda busy in reality. Hope I find a good friend wherever we land because the wife isn't interested in doing much. Heck, We can't even agree on travel plans. I want a new truck and a camper. She insists on a motorhome. If by some chance we end up where she actually wants to move(north Idaho/western MT) I want to try camping and gold panning. Once Hockey season starts, taking trips up into Canada to watch several of the junior teams. Honestly, I think just chilling for a while would be nice also. Tired of doing stuff.

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/10/21 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by not_a_charger

I've had similar thoughts. I'll be 50 in 2 weeks, wife is 48. She can retire in 9 years with her 30 year pension. The 35 year pension is more than double, but the idea of retiring at 59/58ish is too good to pass up. We're going to travel a lot initially, and then maybe each get a part time job while continuing to travel. That combination will keep us from being bored. Also, no idea where our 2 kids will be living at that point, so we'll potentially be spending time traveling to see them as well. Plan is also to sell the house and downsize.

We're thinking we may travel some (my wife wants to go everywhere) but I'm afraid to fly so we have to drive, which she doesn't care for. I'm not interested in a part time job, I won't need to work and I figure why quit a nice paying job to take another low paying job. Our kids are grown and we have three granddaughters that all live here in town so I'll be able to spend more time with them. I'm just struggling to understand how to fill a 16 hour day with productive activities. Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing grin
Posted By: HoosierTA

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/13/21 01:57 AM

I have a year to go. Will be just 63. Nearly 40 years in. I signed off on a program that I draw my pension the last three years of work, but there is no “backsies “. When I leave I w have the three year nest egg, plus my other investments.

We are doing some major harvesting soon on our tree farm, and I hope to improve our cattle ranch. Maybe enjoy my Challenger some, but I am at the point were tinkering with a car on the side of the road isn’t what I prefer to do.

Torn between completely retiring or work in another sector of my government, in which I can draw my pension; draw a salary, and take advantage of the HSA and other tax deferred programs offered. I would pretty much use my new paycheck to play with, and let my investments ride.

If I retire completely, I will draw SS immediately. That “earning 8%” by waiting isn’t for me. Every year waiting is 30,0000 that would be in my pocket. By age 79, it all balances out.

Really odd, that I have a decision to make, but law enforcement work the past two years has really sucked.
Posted By: poorboy

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/13/21 02:26 AM

If you really don't know what you will do after you retire, consider volunteering for someplace that needs your experience to help others. You can probably pick the hours you want to work, and that work is so much more rewarding then just working at a job.

Look around, find something that really bugs you because of the way it is, and figure out what you can do to make a difference. There are a lot of great originations that do some really good stuff and they need your help. If the first try doesn't trip your trigger, try something else. When you hit on the right one, it doesn't feel like work! Gene

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/13/21 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by poorboy
If you really don't know what you will do after you retire, consider volunteering for someplace that needs your experience to help others. You can probably pick the hours you want to work, and that work is so much more rewarding then just working at a job.

Look around, find something that really bugs you because of the way it is, and figure out what you can do to make a difference. There are a lot of great originations that do some really good stuff and they need your help. If the first try doesn't trip your trigger, try something else. When you hit on the right one, it doesn't feel like work! Gene

Thanks for the advice Gene. Might be a good option if I can find the right place/cause.
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/13/21 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by poorboy

Thanks for the advice Gene. Might be a good option if I can find the right place/cause.

I'm going to try to volunteer with the Red Cross on their disaster relief team. I have a ton of experience through my job. Should be very rewarding.
Posted By: basketcase

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/13/21 01:04 PM

after 40 years, I'm NOT working 21 turn 7 days a week. Not driving on snow covered roads. Not freezing in the winter in a factory that is colder inside that it is out side, not roasting in 110+ in the summer. Moping floors, dusting, washing clothes, have the wife's dinner on the table when she comes home. Yeah I'll take it.
Posted By: cgall

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/13/21 02:15 PM

Not everyone feels that they have to be "productive" after retiring. Not after 42 years in manufacturing plants and having younger managers telling you how to do your job. Some days I just read or take a walk. Other days I will help my son with one of his home projects. He thinks I am free labor and truck driver. Like I said, you have to watch out for those younger managers.
Posted By: 330Scott

Re: Are u retired what fun things r u doing? - 09/21/21 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by cgall
Not everyone feels that they have to be "productive" after retiring. Not after 42 years in manufacturing plants and having younger managers telling you how to do your job. Some days I just read or take a walk. Other days I will help my son with one of his home projects. He thinks I am free labor and truck driver. Like I said, you have to watch out for those younger managers.

Good points you make there, youngster. Believe it is called "chillin'"

Started my 4th year of retirement on Sept 1st. Probably have chilled a few too many days. up

Travel was the big plan, but have taken up bicycling this year instead. Started volunteering at a local bicycle cooperative lately as well.

Need to find a lady to share these golden years with.
© 2024 Moparts Forums