I doubt the magician part, its more I have a one track mind. I don't multi-task at all, I plug away one thing at a time, that includes project cars or trucks.

I work in a two car garage, but by the time you get the welder and other stuff in there, it turns into a one work bay garage. I need to start on something and keep at it until its done, or it gets pushed out the door and something else replaces it. I'd be lost trying to work on two projects at the same time, nothing would get done on either of them. I believe more people are like me then want to admit to it.

I tell people all the time: Remember the old TV shows where they showed the phone operator that had to unplug a line and plug it in somewhere else before anything could happen? That big switch board is my mind. I can do a lot of stuff, but only one thing at a time. When the subject gets changed, I have to unplug, and plug into the new subject. If the subject returns to the previous thing, I need to unplug from where it was, and move the plug back to the original subject. I can't do conversations with 3 or more people unless the subject remains the same among everyone. If two people are talking to me at the same time about different subjects, I unplug and watch their lips move.

Working on cars is the same process. I have a 90 Dakota chassis under my 48 Plymouth business coupe. That Dakota donated its chassis somewhere around 115,000 miles. The rear leaf springs, shackles, and bushings were good when the car was assembled. Now that chassis has 187,000 miles on it, and I'm getting a squeak from the rear suspension. At the last oil change (about 2 months ago), while on the hoist, I carefully inspected the rear of the leaf springs for worn parts, and saw the rubber in the shackles coming apart. Its time to address that squeak (read that as its really bugging me now), so new shackles have been ordered. This morning I climbed under the car to see what condition everything else was in. I've determined I should probably also change the rubber bushings in the leaf spring, and I also noticed the insulator pads between the ends of the leafs were also not in the correct place. A local place handles that kind of stuff, so I dropped by his place. He was busy, but told me he thought he had the stuff in stock and I could pick it up in the morning. I could probably buy it online cheaper, but I'd rather support local business. If he had to order it, I would have done that myself.
The next stop was my buddies place (with the hoist) to check his schedule to change my oil and replace the shackles, leaf spring bushings, and the insulator pads. The shackles come with new bolts, so the process will be to be sure the parts are correct, then cut the bolts and install the new stuff. As soon as my parts come in, we will lock in the time with the hoist.
There is that process. Identify what it needs. order the parts so they are on hand, and when the parts are in hand and known correct, start the project, and get it finished. Every step, every time. Gene