Originally Posted by Frankenduster
It is clear that by the time the Road Runner name was applied to the Volare, the game was over. The entire principle of "Road Runner" was a stripped down mid size car with a potent mid sized big block V8.
I never warmed up to the 71-74 B body cars. The 1975 Road Runner looked like a Chevy Monte Carlo to me. The Volare Road Runner could have been a decent car if it would have had an E58 360 4 barrel and dual exhaust.
Add 3.55 gears and a Sure Grip diff and it would have been serious competition for the Trans Ams and Camaro Z28s of the day.

I had a 76 Road Runner, orange with the spoilers/louvres, stripes, etc . . . 318, 4spd OD, fold down rear seat. Was original with 57k miles on it. Needed a bit of tlc, but got it up and running, and looking great. Have to admit, it got the looks for sure. Drove it to Mopars at the strip and they didn't even have F body category that year !!! LOL . . . not fast, but it was what every manufacturer was doing then, graphics to "wow" you. The super coupe package in 77/78 (??) with the E58 360 was as good as it got. Gotta remember what was going on at the time, and Mopar was doing what it could to try and keep the performance alive - heck, look at "The Little Red Express" - with E58 360, was faster than factory Corvette !!!

The F body is totally overlooked, kinda "orphan" machine, but even they are starting to get some respect and prices coming up. I am amazed at A body prices these days !! . . .

Still think the 75 RR is cool . . .specially getting it as Big block, swap out for 440 and some performance gearing . . . go baby go !!