Quote:

Quote:

The SB drive is on the other side of the cam, the rotation of the cam is pushing it down already.

If the tang on the bottom of your dist. does not fit tightly in the drive slot that slop could cause your timing to move back and forth a bit. If it's quite a bit you can weld a small bead on the end of the shaft and the grind it back down untill it fits perfect or if the slop is not much I have just peened the corners of the tang with a few raps with a hammer (carefully) and it has gotten the job done.

Quote:

I put the collar on my 340's distributor this evening and just got back from driving it.
The engine idles smoother now, which kind of surprised me. I didn't know what to expect by putting it on. But, it seems like the $2.69 I spent for the collar was money well spent.

If this is true on LA's, then is it the weight of the collar(I have three different ones weighing 31-42gms) giving additional inertia to the shaft and giving the tang positive placement in the slot?

Don't start me to lying. I was not expecting any noticeable results like I felt with my engine.
The drive tang already fit pretty tight in the slot on the top of the intermediate shaft.
Even though my distributor is still fairly new, there was a little bit (approx 0.015") up and down movement on the distributor shaft. I have to figure the collar took up that slack.

Your life is not my fault.
My life is none of your business.

Speech is free only if you agree with those in control.