Originally Posted by 4406bbl
Originally Posted by B300 VanDanage
Originally Posted by 4406bbl
You were talking about putting a shaft kit in it, that would give you the instructions on lining up the cage to the manual valve, and how to measure the pressure regulator. The old b@m and trans go kits came with a template to set it. You could either find the instructions online or I could send you a pic of the template later.

I don't recall mentioning a shift kit in any of my threads... I'm pretty sure I won't be getting a new shift kit. I just need to make sure this one's adjusted, thanks!

OIC, I saw the firmer shifts and guess I mistook that. Tighten all the valve body screws to 35 inch pounds except the 3 holding the regulator cage, then measure 1-7/8" between the edge of the regulator valve adjusting screw, the allen head one, yr yto the edge of the manual valve, tighten the 3 screws. The pressure regulator is adjusted to 1-9/32" from the casting to the regulator spring adjusting plate. These are trans go specs, I would not turn a stock trans up more. One other thing I need to address is the rear band breaking, harsh engagement does break the band and fold over the apply strut, especially after installing a shift kit because reverse pressure is so high. In the 70s a buddy that owned an ammco trans shop said that is why they did the 2 holes and a single ball, maybe he was wrong. He also told me to drill a .060 hole in the reverse servo on plow trucks because of the constant forward reverse slam,and not use the shim shift kits had in the rear servo, to not break things with the pressure turned up. I have never worn a rear band, only broke the ears off. Anyway this guy was pretty successful, had to warranty transmissions, and did not have many failures so who knows if he was right. All I know is he sold us red clutch rebuild kits for $30, red bands for $15, and showed us how to modify the rear support and cooler feed to stop those failures.

Oh yeah, he used to call Chrysler reverse engagement "The Direct Connection" lmao.

I think the rear servo got the two check balls around 94. So for 32 years Chrysler used one ball. You think they would have needed to come up with a fix for broken bands before then if that was an issue. Like I said before, we went to the two ball from customer complaint of harsh reverse, especially in Jeep.