Moparteacher,

That is a clever technique! The torque specs were in the procedure I had read; I thought it might be in my old Motor manual and I looked again and it is there! So the procedure has worm bearing adjustment first. The rotational torque is measured as the wheel moves away from full lock (1-4 in-lbs). The 3" lock nut needs to be broken loose with a drift and I can't imagine this would be easy in the car (after 50+ years!). Once that is set, then the pitman shaft adjustment is set at the center point. That rotational torque spec is 8-11 in-lbs.

I keep coming back to the fact that the box is 51 years old, the suspension is apart, and it just seems to be wise to swap the box for one that is claimed to be back to factory spec. Is there something in the box waiting to fail in another year or so? At the least it seems the box would need to come out and be torn down for a full inspection (versus pay for the convenience of a simple swap). But of course the quality of a vendors box is really important in the case of a swap, and why I was leaning towards the 'new' Lares box.