Well, a representative from Lares responded to my questions but didn't completely clear up with the confusion so I may need to talk on the phone to someone. The rep said their two options are the same in appearance, fit, and function with the only difference being one is new and the other is remanufactured. He then went on to indicate the case is cast iron..... Just to check my sanity I went to the garage and put a magnet on my manual box and it does not stick. I have to believe that the remanufactured boxes are based on original MOPAR boxes and hence cast aluminum.

Krautrock, you indicated your PST box is aluminum and weighs 14 lbs. Lares indicates the shipping weight for both new and remanufactured is 14 lbs. Jeremiah indicates his Lares box is aluminum. So I am thinking the Lares rep gave the wrong answer on the case material. Is it possible that an aluminum case box could weigh the same as a cast iron case box? I wanted to avoid a cast iron box on the thought it would add needless weight to the car.

Andy, I will try to find that FABO thread.

TJP: I'm not sure of the condition of my box (last thing to remove). I will say the steering was pretty darn spooky prior to putting the car on jack stands. The LCA pivots had a bunch of play once removed and now that the LCA bushing has been replaced they still have some play (not sure what is normal) but less than before. Idler arm was replaced recently (was clearly bad also) which helped but did not cure the spooky-ness. Pitman seems tight but I decided to just replace everything. I'm not sure how hard it will be to pull the box (BB with headers) and my goal is to avoid doing this twice so I'm not sure if I want to tackle the self rebuild!

Anyway I will try to confirm the case material with Lares over the phone, and update this post for others if I get more clarity.

Last edited by davenc; 05/17/21 10:17 PM.