Originally Posted by mopar dave
Andy, it that a progression Ignition distributor? If so, do you like it? I like the fact the timing curve can be adjusted from your Iphone. Thinking about trying one.
I corrected your spelling in the quote.

Ok, first thing is Andy F knows me from another forum as well as this one, and I have THE UTMOST respect for him and I've been blessed with his advice. Having said that, I am devouring this thread as Andy knows I have been posting about my 70 V-code Roadrunner and doing a powerful stroker motor for it.

I'm writing that because it's REALLY HARD to stop reading, BUT I am a HUGE FAN of the PROGRESSION IGNITION and I can't wait to get one, so I had to stop and say GET ONE!! I've DREAMED of having an ignition system that allows the kind of control the Progression Ignition does! Watch the videos on their website. I downloaded the free app to my phone to control the distributor even though I don't have it yet, so I could "play with" the programming by choosing the "work offline" option in the app. You have to turn Bluetooth on your device, even though you are just "playing". I entered the basic information the app asks for, and it generated a timing map based on those initial values. ONE example of how I can use the flexibility of timing programmability is my 440 6bbl idles around 900-950 RPMs because I have a choppy cam. I recently added air conditioning, but I've had to increase my idle to keep it from dropping too low when the AC is turned on. Similar to putting an automatic transmission in gear. I could rig a solenoid to increase the idle speed, but with the Progression Ignition I can advance the timing just in the narrow RPM range that it slows to, say 800-900 RPMs, and that will bump the RPMs back to "normal idle" speed! Certainly my main reason for wanting it is the absolute control over the timing curve, but the example I just gave, the "ignition disable" security feature, are just a couple of the bonus benefits of the Progression Ignition!!

I use my car mostly for cruising to local and "near state" car shows/events (2-5 hours each way drive, like less than 2 hrs to The Battleship Alabama or about 5 hrs to The Wellborn Museum) and the MAIN EVENT for me each year is a solid week of cruising up and down the Mississippi Gulf Coast for Cruisin The Coast, stop and go traffic, burnouts, 1st and 2nd gear "street sprints" and what has been a lot LESS "Test and Tune" 1/4 mile events at Gulfport Dragway. The main reason why I haven't been running my car at the track was no off the line traction, and a big reason for that was worn out factory leaf springs. Bad brakes and a wish list longer than my arm to address the launch, replacing the brakes with a 4 wheel 6 piston Wilwood disc brakes setup, PREPARING my Roadrunner for the POWER of the 541 stroker motor: USCT subframe connectors, front and rear torque boxes, Strange Engineering chromoly steel everything from the slip yoke to the pinion yoke, Calvert split mono leaf springs and sliders, Andy's AR Engineering plates front and rear to strengthen the front leaf spring mounts, Viking XS Warrior triple adjustable rear shocks, McLeod RXT dual disc clutch and pressure plate, hydraulic throwout bearing conversion and the HitMaster launch control for my Passon Performance 5 speed. Complete new front suspension and K-member from QA1.
I'm listing all that because it took care of problems I was having, improves the performance I have now, and lays a STRONG, RELIABLE foundation for the FIVE HUNDRED FOURTY-ONE cu in Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block I've bought.
IT MUST HAVE A 6 BBL!! I've taken a lot of grief over wanting a "street/strip" car with a manual transmission and that much power, but here's a thread MY HERO and MENTOR ANDY F has started with almost EXACTLY WHAT I'VE DREAMED OF AND HAVE FINALLY MADE STRIDES TOWARDS HAVING: a manual transmission equipped 700 horsepower "street/strip" Roadrunner!
That's it, I hope you get the Progression Ignition! I'm getting one asap. I'm concerned about clearance of the distributor with the TF 270 head and my fabricated aluminum valve cover, so I'd love to see any posts from anyone with TF heads and the Progression Ignition.

Last edited by BiomedTechGuy; 04/18/21 11:03 PM.