Let me share my .02 worth of knowledge..

On my KB solid block the sleeves are pressed in with something like .005 interference fit. On a water block if the sleeve is against the water it has to be sealed at the top and bottom, if it is a dry sleeve it is like my KB. Indy water block is dry sleeve and it is interference fit.
I helped replace a sleeve in a Allen Johnson Billet block ina TD car, sleeve was frozen overnight, I stood with a weed burner torch in the hole to heat the block then sleeve was started and a 20 lb sledge used with a block of wood to drive it in.
I asked the question why didn't the engine have to get machined afterwards. I was told the sleeve (Darton) was bored and honed at the factory for that blocks measurements and when if was put in it would have the correct bore and finish.
Guess what? Piston went in with the correct clearance car set a new TD record the following weekend. eek

And that's about the extent of my knowledge other than my Indy block is having 3 sleeves replaced after the damage is repaired..lol

Dave

Dave Covey