Originally Posted by Faust
I am saddened by the loss of American cars. But I do wonder about the future for kids. Someone above mentioned that it would take three years pay for a low wage kid to buy any worthwhile car. I expect that they should diminish in value quickly. All of the computer controls will be the death of them. For instance, I have an '05 Volvo wagon, that I like a lot and have had for a long time. Recently, I lost high beams. The high beam relay is now built into the "Electronic Control Module". OK, $900 for the module, $300 for stealer to reprogram, and I didn't even ask about labor to replace it. So, something over $1200 and what have I regained? High beams, amazing. Fortunately I was a "car kid". I installed a "radio shack" switch, ran power to the high beam fuse and now I have high beams (but inconvenient). Still, it is reasonable to expect a relay to fail, so you build it into a $900 module where it is not independently serviceable. Great. No wonder the Consumer Magazines recommend that you get out of a "luxury" car when the warranty expires.

It was all made clear to me years ago. I was at an auto show and was looking over the '93 Seville with the Northstar (I shouldn't even write that word). The motor was transverse and I mentioned to the salesman that it must be quite a job to replace spark plugs. He said "they last 100,000 miles". I mentioned that sooner or later they would need replacement. He replied "We don't sell used cars". I guess Cadillac survived the Northstar with a pretty good hit to their reputation (some remember the 4-6-8). Then they gave us the 3.6. I really don't know who was running GM, but as they say "When small men cast long shadows, the sun is going down".

It started long ago on Nth American vehicles . . . was going to meet up friends at car show, 2hrs from home. Got call from buddy, asking me if I had spare voltage regulator for 70's Mopar . . sure I could bring with me - told me his 93 Cummins had no charge, and full field tested his alternator, and got full charge. So the regulator - which is built into the computer, was toast . . . no need to change the computer, just wire in external regulator and all is good . . . (yup, had the connector as well as the regulator) . . . fast forward to today - and yup, it will be the electronic modules that are going to kill the vehicles . . .