Was able to do a little work this weekend, ran into a small issue with the valve seals. I orders the viton seals with the small diameter they use for the triple springs. These only have the viton on the top, the body is just the metal. I have very inconsistent sizes on the valve guides. When they did the cut (.530) they got so close to the guides that in some cases it has chipped off. The teflon seals are very forgiving in this situation. I am just a little afraid of the teflon because of the metal clamp that can separate from the seal. I have found several bits and pieces of them against the rail on the head. Is there anyway to secure the viton seals with black RTV or some other sealant or just stick with the white teflon and hope I have the valve train under control?

As a side note, I noticed that most of the damaged seals were on the exhaust. The ones on the intake were still intact.

valve guide.jpg

'75 Plymouth Duster
Phase I 451 906/590/2-660 10.75/126
Phase II 451 Stage VI/590/1050 9.82/135
Phase III 383 906/Victor-Pump gas 11.30/119

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,"