Pulled the valve covers to run the valves, and that is when the fun started. I found rocker arm roller pins moved, parts of valve seals and metal lying in the front corner of the passenger head. After pulling a few springs (#3 & #2), the metal is from the valve seals. I am running Comp PTFE seals (white ones, with the flexible metal bands). On the two cylinders I have pulled the exhaust seals are nearly completely gone, and on the intakes, the seals are on the guide but the metal ring is either gone or will pull right off. When looking at the metal rings on the seals, it appears they have been hit as the top edge is flattened just a bit. I stuck a retainer back on one of the valves and the retainer to seal measurement was .760, my cam is .600.

I also found shiny spring shims and the locks where pretty stubborn in coming out, so everything seems to be leaning toward an unstable valve train. This would maybe explain a few things I experienced this past season. I started off shifting at 6800, as that put my shift recovery (727/4.56 gear) closer the 4,000 I thought I needed, but the car was faster shifting at 6,400, so that is where I keep it. It makes me think that maybe the car was actually falling off from a valve train issue as I do occasionally get a little vibration going through the traps.

I just wanted some confirmation that the witness marks on the valve seals, was due to an out of control valve and not something else. I am guessing the heat may play some part for the exhaust to be in so much worse shape than the intakes. This is on a 383, I shift it at 6400, and go through the traps around 6800 (11.30/119). I have 906 heads, the cam is 250@.050, .600 lift with a 1.6 rocker. I run Isky 8005a springs and titanium retainers. The springs are set at 135 on the seat and 367 open. The calculated compression is 9.4, and I run 90 octane 100% gas with an octane booster to get to 95.

I am thinking my +.130 scrub is not helping me, so I have measured, calculated and mocked up a shaft shim to get me to about .040 scrub. I have also thought about maybe moving to a beehive spring. Any thoughts?

Last edited by clovis; 02/20/21 08:49 PM.

'75 Plymouth Duster
Phase I 451 906/590/2-660 10.75/126
Phase II 451 Stage VI/590/1050 9.82/135
Phase III 383 906/Victor-Pump gas 11.30/119

"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,"