[quote=DrCharles]I have severe sleep apnea (AHI, apnea-hypopnea index of 93) and I haven't missed a night with my CPAP since diagnosis 15 years ago.
The sleep doc told me that throat surgery helped 40% of the people to get a 40% improvement, and it's painful. What you're describing is even more invasive and painful... and it "might" help? Ya, sure. rolleyes I absolutely would NOT recommend that.

Finding the RIGHT mask and machine is important. I couldn't use straight pressure at 13 cm H20, had trouble exhaling against the pressure. But a C-Flex (backs off as you start to exhale, then comes back up gradually) works perfectly. Also needed the built-in humidifier. Some people require a BiPAP (backs off during entire exhalation, returns to full pressure on inhalation).
My facial hair requires a nasal pillow mask - the straps do not have to be very tight since the pillows expand with air pressure and make a good seal.

Same problem as I had. I'm at 14 and that is a lot of pressure. Somehow they figured out what I needed right off the bat. I love the CPAP so much I'd like to buy a spare machine just in case mine breaks. Took a nap yesterday without it and I could tell right off the bat that was a mistake.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"