I have severe sleep apnea (AHI, apnea-hypopnea index of 93) and I haven't missed a night with my CPAP since diagnosis 15 years ago.
The sleep doc told me that throat surgery helped 40% of the people to get a 40% improvement, and it's painful. What you're describing is even more invasive and painful... and it "might" help? Ya, sure. rolleyes I absolutely would NOT recommend that.

Finding the RIGHT mask and machine is important. I couldn't use straight pressure at 13 cm H20, had trouble exhaling against the pressure. But a C-Flex (backs off as you start to exhale, then comes back up gradually) works perfectly. Also needed the built-in humidifier. Some people require a BiPAP (backs off during entire exhalation, returns to full pressure on inhalation).
My facial hair requires a nasal pillow mask - the straps do not have to be very tight since the pillows expand with air pressure and make a good seal.

I agree with you that having to wear it every night is a bit tiresome, even after all this time. It's just another "personal item" on airplanes, which they have to let you bring in addition to your carryon. Anyway, it beats the heck out of not breathing! : up