Went to the orthodontist today to see about getting rid of a small gap in my front teeth. It was gone in 1995 after braces the first time, but it's back. That's a whole other issue, but going to get it done. The doctor noticed I had listed sleep apnea on the forms. The xray showed a very tiny airway and this is the first time someone pointed it out to me. That explains why I push my tongue out when swallowing and a few other things I thought was normal. Anyway, he recommends a jaw surgery where they basically cut it, move it forward, and reattach it. The process will move both jaws and the tongue forward, thus opening the airway. He said it might not cure sleep apnea, but then I can use a small portable device (mouth guard or such) instead of a CPAP machine and not guaranteed to work. The machine is a pain to take on trips and I am not a fan of wearing it, but need to in order to sleep. The regular doctor said to shoot for 5 or less events an hour. I have 4 out of 10 nights this month under 5. I have an appointment with the sleep center next month and will ask them about it as well as adjusting my machine.

Has anyone had this done? I would be out of work for a few weeks (not an issue), but the main thing is I do all the pool, yard, snow, and some other things around the house and not sure what is a good time to plan it if I do it. The insurance should cover it, but won't know until the doctor writes a recommendation for it. Reading the brochure from BCBS, it should be covered as it is correcting a current medical condition. The main factors that worry me are pain, cost, not working to cure sleep apnea, and the time I will be out and not be able to do anything.