So I finally got around to looking up the part numbers from the repair order:

plastic clip that attaches brake pedal to booster: $15
brake pedal switch: $20
pedal assembly: $470

A couple weeks later the remote start is still working and it still drives like a car when started cold. Unexpected and likely difficult to explain bonus: the dumb thing shifts through the first few gears a lot smoother at all temps. My bet is they flashed the trans controller but left that off the repair order. Just noticed it says "removed brake booster to replace pedal attachment clip". Do I have to say it?

As for the logic diagram of the remote start nanny ware, noticed some things not consistent with the explanation above. Pretty sure it does in fact remote start with the vehicle unlocked - mostly because she never locks it the driveway. When ya get in it after remote starting, it senses your butt on the seat and flashes a message to push the start button to keep it running. Oddly enough, ya don't need to hit the brake pedal like ya do if not remotely started. I did also notice that it won't let you shift out of park unless any valid key fob is in the vehicle. No doubt the result of somebody somewhere remote starting a vehicle and then forgetting to grab the fob when they jump in it. Have also noticed that if ya have it running in park and run in the house with the fob in your pocket the fancy electronic dash displays "keyfob not in vehicle" in big bold letters.

In the mean time, I've been dumping about as much money in to my RC as what a base Renegade could be bought for. Still seems like money better spent to me.