Originally Posted by ChallengerTA
So, as an engineer at Chrysler, I can tell you that we would not put more sets of contacts in a switch than what you need.

As a retired software guy, I can appreciate hearing from the engineers. Sometimes it's good thing, sometimes not.

People rest their foot on the brake pedal (two foot drivers),
some dufuss installed pedal dress up wrong -jk).
that you can cancel cruise without the tail lights illuminating

A lot of this falls under my nannyware rant. I two foot drive but don't drag the brake, I'm not the only one to snap it together wrong, cancel button does same thing. I've hated brake to shift out of park since it was new and brake to push button start bugs me too.

It self adjusts when assembled into the vehicle, saving us time during assembly and access to under dash is a joke now.

Didn't self adjust for me but ya know, ave dufuss. FSM lists adjustment spec so it must be fixed. Don't pedals with switch go in body w/ dash? I was under the dash - if the thing had a clutch, no way I was getting to the switch and have heard this from ChryCo Eng before. Fav memory ATM was 90s and younger guy happened across a 50s Imp at a s show - said he about passed out drooling over how much room under the hood.
[/quote]

The remote start feature... obviously something you want done right and with the car functioning properly. A lot more to all these auto assist features than you can possibly imagine. If done wrong, or not covering every little aspect of operation with proper safe guards the lawyers who represent the people who should not be driving are quick to sue the company.

On a side note, remote start was a factory available option on big Olds in the early 70s. Obviously pre nannyware and smack johnny when he thinks the car is a jungle gym. It doesn't need to be tied in to every door, mirror, air bag and whatever else. I do like the interlock for won't work with the hood up.

Some consideration from the how to build perspective is interesting but pointless. I drive old stuff for a reason and only get involved with new stuff when I have to. I stand by my position that it's a badly designed solution which allows multiple onboard systems to have differing opinions about brake pedal position. Wouldn't be a glaring issue if not for the cost cutting assembly making it vulnerable to user damage, defuses or otherwise. Read a lot of instances of people getting their foot stuck under the brake pedal because, no friggin room under the dash.