Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Never, NEVER ASSUME any math done on the theory of lift is accurate with your parts, NEVER tsk
To many ways for it to be wrong twocents
If you don't have a set of decent checking springs get them now before checking any thing related to valve to piston clearances, use a good dial indicator on the retainers align exactly like the valve stem is and push it down to the piston starting around .030 BTDC every 5 degrees until around .050 ATDC on both valves.
I learned a lot on actual P to V clearances and rocker arm ratio theory checking them this way up scope grin AKA this way is well worth doing twocents
Make sure and check the max valve lift at the retainers with the lash set also so you can figure out EXACTLY what ratio your rocker arms are scope wrench up

I have seen guys get lost doing math, then damage parts.

Cab’s way is what I have been using for years. Has never failed me or anyone else I know that has used this procedure.

I use the actual pushrod and spring setup since that’s the best way to take in to account for deflection.

You are not anywhere near max lift so you don’t have to worry about coil bind. Just crank the adjuster slowly until you feel the valve touch the piston - read the number on your dial indicator. That’s your real P to V clearance after you add your running lash number.

Done.