Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
Originally Posted by paris401
gibson was nasty... of all the pitchers i have seen, he's in the top 3... koufax,marichal and gibson.... i'd rate koufax,gibson,juan as 1-2-3.... but man they were all good....

Koufax was great for 4 of his 12 seasons (the last four). Only six of his 12 seasons did he have a record above .500. Sub 3.00 ERA in only his last 5 seasons. There is not greatness in the whole of his career. I don't care how good he was for a few seasons, he doesn't belong in the conversation with many other pitchers, let alone Gibby and Marichal. Kershaw is considerably better than Koufax in a vastly different game. Jim Palmer was better. I could go on and could make a case that if Koufax is in the HOF (in my opinion his stats don't rise to that level), then Ron Guidry should be in (check the stats side by side). And, I've had this discussion with a former MLB pitcher (who is NOT nearly HOF worthy) and he agrees with my conclusion. 165 wins just doesn't make the cut for ANYBODY else...

Uh, Koufax was easily among the all time best. It’s not even a discussion. He only had that few of wins because he was done at thirty. Reading this and knowing the list of things he accomplished makes it pure comedy to read. Good grief. Sandy Koufax not HOF worthy. Damn. Nobody is then. When you know what he did for those last years with a bum arm, it’s even more incredible.

It's not the "Hall of a few great years". Sorry, but if Koufax is in, then Guidry should be in. Those are just the facts. Lots of guys had bum arms, backs, etc. and were great for a short time. Doesn't make them hall-worthy. I don't care how great he was for four years...Look at the numbers without his name and he's not in.